Friday, September 23, 2005

Forget Norway ... Come to Kenya!!

First off, sorry for the last post. I wanted to give you something. But moving on...

Detroit to Philadelphia and staging:

When I arrived in Philly I called a bus to take me to the airport. There was another girl waiting who appeared to have her whole life packed in bags sitting in front of her. It turns out she was another Peace Corps (PC) person and apparently we were on the same flight. She was from Ann Arbor and so we shared the bus to the hotel and had a grand old time.

Staging was fun. It reminded me of my days with the orientation program. Skits, easel boards and markers, meeting some impressive individuals, and lots of fun. I also got my first three shots (to my relief in my arm).

Flight to Kenya:

Agony. Our flight left JFK at 8:30 PM so basically everybody was planning on sleeping. That was my plan also. I can honestly say that I did not sleep for 1 minute. It was impossible. I tried every position in the book, some of them were pretty creative. But to no avail. However, even thought the movie selection was less than appealing, the radio choices were quality. My brother will like this: a radio station that played some of AFI's top movie themes. Lots of John Williams.

The flight to Kenya was better. I was so drained from the first flight that I was knocked out for a few hours. I also liked this flight because it was British. Ahhh, the Brits. They offered you tea constantly. And then we landed...

Kenya:

Jomo Kenyatta Airport was much nicer than JFK. We grabbed our bags and took a bus ride to our hotel. Everyone was glued to the windows during the ride. The trouble was that it was night so we really didn't get to see much of the city and Kenya at all. They had dinner waiting for us at the hotel and then we all crashed the night.

You might think that we had the next day to recover. Incorrect, I got up about 8:00 and we were greeted by the country director, met staff, and went over medical issues. We also received three more shots (running tally of shots: 6). We began language training and had some one on ones with the director of education. A pretty busy first day.

What's in store:

We leave tomorrow for Kitui. This is where I will be staying for training with my host family. It is a few hours east of Nairobi fairly close to the desert. Hot. Dry.

I'm having a great time, the people are solid, I'm diggin' the language, its good. The adventure is just beginning.

No comments: