Friday, October 07, 2005

kidogo habari (a little news)

First of all, thanks for all the enjoyable comments. Its nice to know that there are people who are interested in my happenings afar.

Secondly, I have to read through the comments extremely quickly because the internet is pretty sketchy. In my area there is only one location that has public computers and the internet access is moody. Its moody most of the time. For instance, I probably won't be able to check the e-mail this time around since it hasn't been able to sign on after the 10th time.

But that's not the kind of information you came here for...

Like Christmas

Today I received a bike. What a glorious day it is. Out of all 50 volunteers training in Kitui the cluster I was in had the longest walk. It took about and hour and a half to get to the training hub. Occasionally we would walk but usually we took taxis (4 in the back and 3 in the front) or matatus (sort of like vans where they would squeeze at least 4 more people than was legal into). The drivers are crazy. Its almost like they are playing a game: come as close to any object or person as possible no matter what side of the road they are on. The roads are pretty horrible so drivers are constantly moving from the left to right or right down the middle, just where ever the best piece of road is. But now I've got a bike...

Chuluni Secondary School for Girls

We were introduced to our practice teaching sites this week. I got to see the Kenyan school system and meet my mentor teachers. I'm teaching 3 days a week, 2 classes a day, 1 Math and 1 physics. Yeah, physics. First lesson: Rectilinear propagation something something something. That one is going to be a struggle. More on the school structure in another post.

Frisbee

You know me. I gotta represent the Frisbee. So far the frisbee has been given an overwhelming response. I held two lessons on Frisbeeology last weekend with the neighborhood kids. Advanced lessons soon to come. We busted out the Frisbee at Chuluni school and had about 200 girls surrounding us wanting to see what this thing was we were throwing. It was great. Its the sensation that will sweep the nation. I have a request for those reading this: can you find addresses to Frisbee companies such as Wham-O and Discraft and send them to my e-mail account or as a comment on this site. Due to my limited computer access I don't have the ability to look these up. I think I'll write to the companies and see if they can hook me up.

Odds and Ends

I'm feeling more and more comfortable in my home away from home. There is always something new and surprising. It is exhausting learning the language, culture, everything, but it is worth it. So just know that I am well, the shot tally is up to 9, I am still eating ridiculous ammounts of food, and life is good.

Peace out...

No comments: