Friday, November 18, 2005

piga barabara (hit the road)

I made it back safely from my site visit, but I am finding that these last few weeks of training will be action-packed. That's right I'm down to two weeks. Two weeks from today I will be an official Peace Corps Volunteer and no longer a mere Trainee. Oh joy, oh rapture.

Future Site

It took a surprisingly long time to reach my site from Nairobi. If you don't know Kenyan roads are notorious throughout the world as being some of the worst. Large potholes are found frequently, but you really get used to it because you really can't go anywhere without it. So my site really isn't close to anything. Its hot and very dry. They haven't had enough rain for about five years. It is very flat and lacking in vegetation. So based on physical geography it is not much of a place to visit. But, the school seems like a great opportunity. And I really like my supervisor. And like I said last time, I have some pretty cool game reserves within a few hours. But it appears I will officially be sweating for two years.

Sooooo...

In the last week I have:
- chopped down a pretty big, dead tree
- helped butcher a chicken
- killed a chicken (yep, cut its head off)
- made pasta and tomato sauce (well, "made" isn't the right word. I watched Annie and Eric make it, mostly Annie)

I'm getting kicked out of the post office, so that's all for now. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: