Tuesday, December 27, 2005

tuko pamoja (we are together)

"Goat meat roasting on an open fire
 Sweat beads running down my nose
 And though it's been said, many times, many ways
 Nawatakia heri katika Christmasi na Mwaka Mpya!"

And so Christmas has come and gone.

Recap:

I visited another volunteer a few days before Christmas. We attended a wedding on Christmas eve. It was my first African wedding, but since it was a Christian wedding it wasn't very different. The photographer saw that I had a camera and suddenly I became his apprentice and he had me follow him and stand in the aisles and take pictures of everything. So hopefully I can get a few of those pictures up during this holiday season.

By the way, the wedding was about a 2 hour walk in the hot sun and so I got a pretty good sunburn. Its safe to say that this was my first Christmas with a sunburn. Christmas eve night almost looked like Michigan, because Kenyans were bundling up in heavy coats and hats because it dropped below 55 degrees F, and then they sang some African carols.

Christmas morning we got up bright and early for the goat slaughtering. I did not participate, I just took lots of pictures. After the slaughter the goat was hung from a tree and then butchered. I've got some beautiful shots of the goat in the foreground and some mountains in the background. Some sausages were made with the intestines and blood and no part went unused. That was really the highlight of the day.

Currently I'm on my way to the coast to spend New Years there ... on the beach! No Dick Clark for me this year, but I think it will still be rockin'.

How are you spending YOUR holidays?

No comments: