Saturday, April 29, 2006

Lean on Me

Quick update:

I've been enjoying my break from school by hanging with other volunteers at some training sessions. First, was back in Kitui (where it all began) for the Diversity and Peer Support (DPS) group training. It was basically a training in counseling. Volunteers that are DPS trained are invited to Pre-Service Training to be an ear if any of the new volunteers have any issues they need to talk about. They also might visit volunteers when they first arrive at their site to kind of check in with them. It was a good training and by the end of it I found myself on the Core Committee. There are five members on this Core Committee and my official title is 'The Lean-On Guy', which means I do whatever the Chair tells me to do. I can do this.

It was also nice being back in Kitui, because I'm so much more comfortable with Kenya at this point. I walked around confidently, throwing out my Kikamba phrases, not a care in the world, feeling safe and at home. I also got to see my home-stay family again. It was a surprise meeting, but it didn't take long for Mama to whip up more than enough food. I was stuffed and had food to carry with me after my time was up. Just like old times.

Following that, it was off to Nairobi for my training group's In-Service Training (IST). It was a time to get the group back together again, share frustrations and ideas and get ready to go back to site feeling more confident. I'm not sure if all objectives got met, but it was nice to see everyone again and have some good times. I won't go into any more specifics.

Well, school starts again in a couple weeks, and I hope to have some student-teacher conferences at the beginning of the term to get some one-on-one time with the students. I hope it helps.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more adventures!

No comments: