Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Blog Strikes Back

Welcome to Matt’s new website! Since it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to get the old site back, Dan has set up this new space so Matt has a place to keep us up to date on his experiences. We’ve all come to look forward to those entries, written in his entertaining style.


August was a month off school for Matt, so he was able to meet us at the airport in Nairobi when Bill and I arrived on August 6. The three of us left the next day for a 3-day safari in Amboseli National Park near the Kenya/Tanzania border. Amboseli is known for its elephant population and we saw many family herds, along with a variety of other animals. We visited the Giraffe Centre in Nairobi on August 9 before taking an overnight train trip to Mombasa. We spent two nights there in a resort on the Indian Ocean, visiting some tourist sites. We also celebrated Matt’s birthday one night and Christmas another night while there. On August 12, we rented a car and Bill drove us to Matt’s village, several hours away. That was an experience—between the car with right-side steering, driving on the left side of the road, and the terrible road conditions—we won’t soon forget! Unfortunately, Matt is not allowed to drive while in the Peace Corps, so Bill had to master it—and quickly.



We stayed three nights in Ulilinzi, and that was enough for me! I was ready to get back to modern conveniences like running water, toilets, and electricity. We did enjoy meeting people who care about “Mumo,” and seeing the sights in person he has described to us. Everyone was very welcoming to Mumo’s mama and baba. The Ulilinzi Secondary School had a special program for us on August 14, asking students and staff to return during their holiday. After a tour of the school, students performed songs, recitations, and a skit to welcome us. The principal and deputy principal asked “Mr. Matthew” to introduce us so that we could present the school supplies we had brought with us. Our church had collected rulers, protractors, compasses, scientific calculators, pencils, pens, and erasers to donate to the school. We also had a few math textbooks and resource books which the teachers can use. On August 15, we drove back to Nairobi, and Bill and I flew out to London that night. He and I spent a couple of days in London seeing the sights before heading home on August 18. A very memorable two weeks!



Matt was one of a group of volunteers who got to meet Senator Barack Obama (Illinois) at the US Embassy when he visited Kenya about ten days after we left. Matt traveled the following week to meet with other Peace Corps volunteer teachers. He visited the western boundary of Kenya, along Lake Victoria, for the first time. You’ll notice from the pictures we’ve included that his hair had gotten very long. After we left, he had his hair braided in corn rows; I’m looking forward to a picture of that. He eventually got it all cut off and also trimmed the crazy beard.

Well, it’s my birthday, so that means Matt has been gone for one year. I’m expecting a more cheerful birthday this year; anything’s got to be better than last year’s. People say that the time has gone really fast, and I guess it has in some ways. I think it helped that I spent about five months of that time planning and looking forward to our trip. I’ve heard that the second year goes faster; we’ll see about that! The first year was filled with so many new experiences for Matt; it’s been neat to live it through him. We’ve all learned so much! We’re halfway through the adventure, and November 30, 2007 doesn’t look so far away any more.




Tammy Priest

3 comments:

Kyalo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, this is Kyalo, sorry on my previous comment I made a mistake to display my email openly to the public on that comment, Kindly 'DELETE' THAT COMMENT because it included my personal email....I hope you all are doing Great! Barikiwa sana Ndugu Yangu!

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This web site is amazing. Thats not truly a actually substantial statement, but its all I could come up with soon after reading this. You know a great deal about this subject. Much making sure that you produced me wish to understand additional about it. Your web site is my stepping stone, my buddy. Many thanks for that heads up on this theme.