Sunday, October 14, 2007

Nothing Much

Just a quick update:

I'm down to less than two months! I've been away from 'the states' for over two years and I'm starting to get a little nervous as to how that place will seem to me after all this time. How have people changed since I left or how have my perceptions changed during these months away? But now is not the time for a lengthy reflective exposition on my experience. That will come after all is said and done. But I will make a suggestion to everyone:

Transition/Readjustment Tip #1:

Please, please, PLEASE do not ask me "How was Kenya?" or "How's Africa?" How do you answer a question like that? How would you answer the question "How is America?" Ummm...fine...ok...good. Please ask me a more specific question, one that is not so broad.

I'm halfway through my last term and things are crazy busy. I'm going in early to teach at 6:30 and I try to be there every Saturday to assist those who come. Exams are just around the corner and our Form 4's are going slightly crazy with exam fever. I'm looking around my house and trying to decide what exactly I need and what I want to keep and what I can give away. Also, I still don't know if I'll be replaced by another volunteer at my site. I'll know by the end of the month. The last month and a half will be busy busy, but it will be worth it. See everyone soon!

EXTRA:
My favorite Kikamba translation of late (literal translation of Kikamba to English):

"You think you're very sharp putting me a stomach? Well, my father says if you don't drive me, you'll pay him cows without mathematics."

Which means:

"You think you're something, getting me knocked up? Well, my dad says if you don't marry me, you'll pay us cows up the wazoo."

EXTRA 2:
As a reminder, don't forget to check out the picture gallery if you haven't lately!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt, how do you translate "shotgun wedding? and Why are you so familiar with that dialogue?

-Franky

Anonymous said...

Matt, I better not be hearing about some Amazon princes. I almost bought you a set of Tiger Stadium seats, but they cost $275 a pair.

Love,
Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Ken wants to know just how many cows it would take.
Mom

PungentAroma said...

i get it Matt.
you don't have to be subtle.
i finally uploaded all of the pictures i had been withholding, so now the gallery is complete.

you win, you always do.

Unknown said...

Matt,
I have enjoyed your site. Now I have a better idea what Jeremy will be seeing and doing. Have a safe trip home.
Rick and Charlene Keen

Anonymous said...

Matt, thanks for having a site like this. its wonderful. keep it up. I'm highly considering going into the peace corps now...not sure yet though. no worries im only a junior in high school still.


~Josh M.~

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt!
Happy Thanksgiving! :)
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Love,
Pam

Ken Fun said...

I think you will be really impressed on how the Tigers have come around since you have been gone. The just recently traded fro Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera!