Sunday, August 28, 2005

Just a few weeks away...

The last couple days its really hit me just how fast the departure date is approaching. Only 3 weeks left! I honestly cannot wait to go, but I also am recognizing the enormity of it all. When I say 'see you later' to everybody its 2+ years til 'later'. Also, am I crazy? My first real teaching job and I'm going to do it in a completely foreign culture, possibly in a different language, with limited resources, and 50 students to a class?? Yes, I think you have to have a dose of insanity to join the Peace Corps.

I've been so preoccupied with my impending departure that I seriously forgot that my birthday is in just a few days. Normally you're aware of it and you at least look to see what day of the week it falls on, but I hadn't even thought about it til my mom said something about it. Kind of shows you where my mind has been. (Oh, it's Wednesday the 31st. The 23rd anniversary of my birth)

So I arranged my flight to get me to staging. I fly out of Detroit at 8:30 AM on the 19th and head to Philadelphia. I can't wait for staging. To be with people who have gone through the same process as I have, for as long as I have, should be a lot of fun. Staging basically consists of meeting the people you will go through training with and some pre-departure culture and safety training. Also the joy of receiving a buttload (literally?) of shots.

The final 3 weeks: I've got a farewell/birthday party, spend a week in Kalamazoo, and figure out how to pack for two years and still keep it under 80 pounds. That might prove challenging...

No comments: